Select Page

The United States has agreements with several nations, the so-called totalization conventions, in order to avoid double taxation of income in relation to social contributions. These agreements must be taken into account in determining whether a foreigner is subject to the U.S. Social Security Tax/Medicare or whether a U.S. citizen or resident alien is subject to the social security taxes of a foreign country. If you have credits in both the United States and Denmark, you may be eligible for benefits from one or both countries. If you meet all the essential requirements under a country`s system, you will benefit regularly from that country. If you don`t meet the basic requirements, the agreement can help you qualify for a performance, as explained below. NOTE: As the table shows, an American worker employed in Denmark can only be covered by U.S. Social Security if he or she works for a U.S.

employer. A U.S. employer includes a company organized under U.S. or state law, a partnership if at least two-thirds of the partners are based in the United States, a U.S.-based person or a fiduciary company if all agents are established in the United States. It is also a foreign subsidiary of a U.S. employer when the U.S. employer entered into an agreement with the Internal Revenue Service, pursuant to Section 3121 (l) of the Internal Revenue Code, to pay Social Security taxes for U.S. citizens and residents employed by the subsidiary. International express mail agreement, with detailed rules.

Signing in Copenhagen and Washington on 19 October and 19 November 1984, agreement for scientific and technological cooperation with the annexes. Signing in Copenhagen, September 15, 2009. Article 3, paragraph 3, of the legal assistance agreement signed between the United States of America and the European Union on 25 June 2003. Signing in Copenhagen, June 23, 2005. According to the agreement, when you work as a worker in the United States, you are generally covered by the United States, and you and your employer pay social security taxes only in the United States. When you work as a worker in Denmark, you are usually covered by Denmark and you and your employer only pay social security taxes in Denmark. To qualify for U.S. or Danish benefits as part of the agreement, follow the instructions in the “Benefits Rights” section.

On the other hand, if your employer sends you from one country to work for that employer or subsidiary in another country for a temporary period, you will continue to be covered by your country of origin and you will be released from your coverage in the other country. A temporary deadline is set in the agreement of five years or less for transfers from the United States to Denmark and three years or less from Denmark to the United States. For example, when a U.S. company sends an employee to that employer or subsidiary in Denmark for at least five years, the employer and worker pay only U.S. social security taxes and are not required to pay in Denmark. If you do not agree with the decision on your entitlement to benefits under the agreement, contact a U.S. or Danish social security office.